- Represented a local farmer in his successful challenge to a Kern County ordinance that would have streamlined the permitting of 72,000 new oil wells over 25 years. King and Gardiner Farms, LLC. v. Kern County, 45 Cal.App.5th 814 (2020).
- Represented an environmental organization its successful challenge to a regional transportation plan that had no effective mitigation for the project’s impacts on climate change and public health. Cleveland National Forest Foundation v. San Diego Assn. of Govs. (2017) 3 Cal.5th 497.
- Defended Napa County in a landmark legal challenge to its 30-year agricultural preservation initiative, ultimately prevailing in the California Supreme Court. DeVita v. County of Napa (1995) 9 Cal.4th 763.
- Served as Managing Partner of Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger LLP from 1998 to 2015.
Community Service, Publications, and Recognitions
- California Lawyer’s “Attorney of the Year” (CLAY) Award, for successfully challenging the Nestle company’s proposal to construct a large water bottling facility on the McCloud River (2010).
- Sierra Club Mother Lode Chapter’s “Outstanding Legal Representation” Award, for negotiating a landmark settlement with the California Attorney General and the City of Stockton calling for specific policies and programs to address climate change (2010).
- Daily Journal’s “Top Woman Lawyer” Award (2014).
- Northern California Super Lawyer (2007 to 2020).
Member of the Bars of the State of California, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Central Districts of California.
UC Berkeley School of Law, JD, 1980
Yale University, BA, 1973, summa cum laude
Clerkship: Honorable Laughlin E. Waters, United State District Judge, Central District of California
Prior to law school, I taught high school English. I still turn to literature for escape and inspiration. On weekends, you can find me hiking the trails on Mt. Tamalpais.