Real Estate Transactions & Eminent Domain
SMW has widely recognized expertise in counseling public agencies on all phases of real property acquisition, sale, and leasing. The firm specializes in assembly of property for large, complex urban infrastructure projects and redevelopment. SMW attorneys have also represented public agencies in a wide variety of eminent domain actions to conserve natural areas, create parks, acquire rights-of-way for public transit and public utilities, and redevelop blighted urban areas and brownfields. Examples of the firm’s representation of public agencies in real estate matters include:
- San Francisco Transbay Transit Center Program: The firm is responsible for all right-of-way acquisitions for a $4 billion transit-oriented development project involving a new bus and train station and the extension of Caltrain and High-Speed Rail into Downtown San Francisco.
- Oakland Army Base: The firm represented the Oakland Army Base Reuse Authority in negotiating, drafting and implementing a major public trust exchange agreement with the California State Lands Commission and the Port of Oakland.
- Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency (SAFCA): The firm represents SAFCA in real property acquisitions for a $600 million flood control and habitat conservation project in the Natomas Basin.
- Tri-Valley Conservancy (TVC): The firm represented TVC in an eminent domain action brought by Caltrans to acquire protected conservation land.
- City and County of San Francisco: Prior to joining SMW, an attorney now partner with the firm represented the City in a $110 million assemblage of land for the Moscone Convention Center West Project and in BART’s acquisition of 8 miles of right-of-way for the BART extension to San Francisco International Airport.